You already make the decision: You want to volunteer! Great… but where do you begin? Do you want to start looking for place, by job, by time…? It is a lot of choices and google is giving you millions of links. Take a deep breath because I’m giving you my 5 best places to find volunteer opportunities.
During the years, I surfed a lot on the Internet working and searching volunteers. Looking for the right opportunity is not easy and it is a big step in your life. Believe me, when I said it would be also one of the best choices in your life.
This is mainly a Spanish website but they also have some opportunities abroad. Sometimes you don’t have the time to make a one-year commitment, but you still have the desire to give your time to a cause, that’s what I like about Hacesfalta.org
It has a huge variety of choices by city and by time, maybe you have free Thursday afternoon or maybe you can work one hour from home helping some organizations. The chances are endless and they will fit you, don’t excuses!
Why I’m adding my nonprofit here? Because it’s volunteer program is one of the best ones that I know. When I was looking for my first big volunteer experiences I crossed hundreds of websites, I didn’t know which one I could trust and I didn’t want to spend 2000 for two weeks experience (honestly, who wants to spend that for being a volunteer? But that’s a topic for another post).
Over 20,400 children have grown up in the NPH orphanages, the nonprofit operates homes in nine Latin-American countries: Honduras, Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, the Dominican Republic, Peru and Bolivia. Its program offers a wide range of experiences, so why I fall in love with the program?:
- It gives you the chance of real work experience, volunteering as a therapist, journalist, social worker… this is the real world and you are a professional!
- You will only have to spend your flight ticket, you will live without almost any cost at the home and you will even receive a stipend for your help. They know how worthy you are!
- The country offices and the organization will support you in everyday problems. You are not alone with NPH. It is a relief when you are thinking of taking this step.
- The best reason: You will live with the kids, and believe me, they are f*/¡%* awesome! You will want to stay forever.
Check its volunteer opportunities at the orphanages. If you fall in love with the organization but don’t have the chances to commit in one of its homes, you can still help them, search if it is a fundraiser office in your area and contact them, volunteers are always needed!
Do you know about Microvolunteering? As “Help from Home” says is a chance to change the world just in your pajama. I know how busy you are in your daily life, and I also know that a lot of you can`t afford to give a whole year to a cause, but the most important thing that I know is how badly you want to help.
Help from Home has all these choices that would allow you to help from your own home and with your schedule. Even one hour a day can change someone’s live!
Goabroad is more than a volunteer website, it’s all you need if you are thinking to go outside your country. From study opportunities to teaching jobs. It is all about helping and growing as a person.
Choose a country, a field or the time that you want to volunteer and Goabroad will show you all its variety options. Goabroad is also a cool place to check and get inform, it has a bunch of articles about volunteering and leaving abroad. Really sweat!
Idealistic is my favorite place by far. It helps you find volunteer, job or internship opportunities all based on nonprofit organizations. There are two things that I really love about Idealistic.
- All the organizations inside have to pass a process to verify its work. How many scams can you find on the Internet? Like a lot! Idealistic verify the organizations to make sure they are reliable. The sense of security you find looking an opportunity here is priceless.
- Its ability to filter your searches. Its left column would allow you to drill down to the specific type of volunteer you are looking for. Search by location, by type, by commitment, by duration… you will find exactly what you want!